30 January 2017

Just A Shawl


Yes, times are bad and seemingly getting worse. My struggles with job disappointment and poverty very much got me down over the holidays. Then the world went crazy after January 20. One bad news story appears after another and it's difficult not to despair for all our sisters and brothers. My daughter said she feels like she's living in a dystopian novel.

I do what I can.  I post flyers and send emails about migrants' and workers' rightsI marched on January 21 because how could I not? Yet, for comfort,  I turn to making and reading about making. Angela at Pans and Needles said it best describing wanting to see "something small to make me feel like there are still good things happening, little blips that remind me that beautiful things are still being made and put out into the world with love." 

Two years ago a friend in Victoria BC saw some hand-spun alpaca at a market stall and thought of me. He mailed it as a surprise. This year, one of my dearest friends turned 50 and celebrated with a dance party. It felt right to continue the gifting cycle by knitting this yarn into something special for her. Working the cables and short rows in soft and creamy yarn has been a great source of solace to me this month. Last night I received a text from my friend saying she was outside, warm and cozy in her new scarf.

Wild Plum Shawlette by Amanda Scheuzger
Knitscene Winter 2013



Two 50+ friends cut a rug because you must never stop dancing.


Me and 50 000 friends take over Toronto. Never stop marching.

No comments: