27 January 2017

1984 The Good

What better chaser of the blues is there than finding Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 1984 at a junk store for one dollar? I've confessed my affection for 80's style here before. I look back fondly on the wavy hair, the natural dark eyebrows and especially the loose, drop shouldered sweaters. Yes much of eighties style was ridiculous and over the top but not all of it. Here we have, in my opinion, some of the loveliest examples of mid-eighties fashion.

The Good

Who doesn't love a pale and loose sweater thrown over a tank for summer? The schematic of this pattern shows that it is, literally, two rectangles sewn together with sleeves attached. I think it's perfection.
 The Great

This woman could walk into any room today and be declared fierce. An update of her hosiery and shoes and perhaps the skirt length, are all that`s needed. I can't imagine knitting so much stockinette on such a small scale, but the results are gorgeous. The square Lace Shetland Shawl in the corner is Estonian lace inspired and a wonderful knitter on Ravelry has updated the pattern for easier knitting in lace weight.
 The Magnificent

I love, love, love, this from head to toe. Especially the toes! T-strap heels are a favourite of mine. OK, the model's make-up and hair need softening but the rest is breezy and elegant. In the era of over-size, the subtle looseness of these garments looks very classy. Does anyone wear this length of skirt anymore? Other than me, I mean?

The Throwback
Melli,Pom-Pom-Quaterly-Issue-20,-Spring-2017
Surprise! This is not from 1984 Vogue but from RIGHT NOW. It's Melli by Camille Rosella and is in the current spring edition of Pom Pom Quarterly. An homage to the eighties if ever I saw one, even if the designer is too young to know it.

No comments: