19 May 2016

A Quick Chicago Visit


I recently had the opportunity to spend a day and a half in Chicago. My partner had a conference so I tagged along and spent a day walking my feet off in the Windy City which, thankfully, was not windy at all that day.

This is the Jay Pritzker Pavilion at Millennium Park. 
Chicago seems to be very committed to its public spaces in a way that Toronto often is not. People friendly design is everywhere and there is a definite respect for existing architecture. 
The new integrates beautifully with the historical. 
I was delighted to learn that this pavilion was designed by Frank Gehry who also designed one of my favourite local spaces - The Art Gallery of Ontario.

One could spend a whole day at The Art Institute. What a magnificent museum! I only had the morning and chose to spend most of it in the European Modernism galleries.
Braque, Duchamp, Man Ray, Gris, Miro. My little Surreal heart was all aflutter.

We came across this fantastic horse sculpture in a children's park
 on E. Chicago.

Our evening walk in the park was splendid.




No comments: