29 October 2015

Sock of Unknown Origin


I've been happily knitting away on yet another pair of 3 x 1 ribbed socks. In my opinion, this is the best way to handle handpaints and variegates with dramatic colour changes. The problem I am having with this particular sock is that I've no idea what I'm knitting with.

This yarn has been in my stash since 2012 when I won it at one of the last Knitty Yarn Roundtables. For those of you not lucky enough to attend one of these famous yarn tastings, let me explain that at the end of each evening, Amy Singer would do random draws and when your number was called you got to choose from a large selection of prizes. The choices were knitting books and products companies had given to Amy in hopes of a review, as well as skeins from the evening's samplings. 

On the night in question, mine was one of the last numbers drawn and only all the chopped up skeins were left. I had enjoyed knitting with this sock yarn so chose the pieces of the skein. I spit-joined them back together on the streetcar ride home. Knitty had kept the ball band to reference for the magazine column but I wrote down the info. Naturally, I lost the paper. I've gone back through the Knitty archives but can't find anything that looks like this yarn. Perhaps it never made it to the column? It was definitely a smaller brand that I had never heard of before. I seem to remember that there is some silk in here. It certainly feels like the strength of blended wool and silk. Unfortunately that's all I have to go on. 

Oh well, I guess my Ravelry entry will be incomplete.



No comments: