11 June 2008

How Leonard Cohen Changed My Life

Friday June 6: I put on my party dress and went off to see Leonard Cohen. I was feeling somewhat blue. Alone on my birthday, using the ticket I had bought for myself weeks before knowing that I would be alone on my birthday. That afternoon, I had made a tentative agreement with a sketchy landlord for a small apartment in a sad neighbourhood because it was the best I could find in my price range. I had been searching for weeks and had cried a bunch in rage and frustration at the seeming impossibilty of finding a decent home for myself and The Daughter. So, I was feeling anxious as I entered the theatre.

Magic happens, you know. The concert was three hours of it. The air sparkled with energy, camaraderie, beautiful tones. I haven't felt so present in years. Afterward, I ended up walking with two other women who were at the show. One of them is a knitter I know from a few functions. We decided to go for a drink to continue our Leonard love fest. During the course of conversation, this most beautiful of knitters mentions that she is moving and is looking for someone to take over her amazing apartment near High Park.
Yes, you've figured it out, I shall be that someone. At great inconvenience to herself, she showed my her home, then put in a glowing review for me with her landlord. He just wants someone nice, not the highest bidder. We met last night and he and his wife seem to think that I am that someone nice.

My wise therapist told me, "Sometimes you just have to pray". She's not a traditionally religious person. She meant that sometimes, after you've tried everything, you just have to give it up to the universe and ask and believe. When I was at me teariest I said, "Please. I need an appropriate home for my daughter and myself." I even wrote it in my journal last week. Now, miraculously, I have a beautiful, safe, affordable home in which I can make my fresh start.
So I say thank you, thank you, thank you.

5 comments:

canknitian said...

As Mr Cohen says, "Hallelujah!"

Marin (AntiM) said...

I am so very happy for you. When good things happen to good people, it renews my outlook considerably.

And I have to second canknitian -- one of my favourite songs from one of my favourite lyricists.

Not An Artist said...

Yay! I'm so happy you found a great place... I know how tough it can be to find that perfect, affordable apartment.

Leonard was transcendant, wasn't he? I actually *wept* at the sunday show.

Anonymous said...

That's great that things took a turn for the best. The power of Cohen prayer!

Miss Scarlett said...

Leonard Cohen is pretty amazing on his own - but linked to your new home? Magical.

I'm so happy for you. Change can be difficult but it can also be inredibly empowering and freeing.