04 March 2008

A Paper Diversion

Well, the knitting is all the same. The ugly socks are almost done and the purple tunic rollls along in stocking stitch.
In the meantime, I made this little dress from paper I bought in the gift shop at the Textile Museum. The crispness of the texture just screamed sharp pleats to me. I'm thinking Jackie O., mid-height pumps, supper party. Your skirt swings when you walk and the belt buckle glitters in the low light. You are efficient, yet sexy, and your legs look great. Get it?
Making these little outfits for paper dolls has been such a great source of play for me. As adults, we so often forget the joy of playing for its own sake. Also, since I can't sew, this is the closest I'll ever get to creating this kind of dress.
Speaking of the Textile Museum, if you've not yet seen the installation The Blues, get thee down there. It's quite remarkable in scope. The show closes April 6.

2 comments:

Needle Addict said...

Thatpaper dress is awesome. My paper dolls never looked so stylish

Miss Scarlett said...

If only you could translate that into fabric! It is a classic design - your description is excellent.

Sure you wouldn't want to work in fashion? You can give your drawings to someone else to mock up...Or you could write for designers.

Great idea to have a hobby - and a creative one.