16 September 2007

Fall Seems To Have Arrived

I finished weaving in the ends on two projects this afternoon while watching Season Two finale of Gray's Anatomy on DVD. (Boo hoo! Denny! You got tears on my wrist warmers!)
They're for a friend's family along with this scarf and this one. I suppose I designed the gray ones myself? The structure is based on the warmers from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, the pattern the purple ones are knit from. However, I wanted something more formal and substantial for the second pair so I bought some dark gray Cascade 220 and spent an evening with my pattern books trying to come up with something. I decided on a combination of 1 x 1 ribbing and off centre cables. They're supposed to be for a guy. Do they look sufficiently male to you?


Just look at those cables! The thing is, I'm not sure if they're true cables or "mock". Semantics aside, they still look smashing.

Have you seen the fall Knitty yet? Be sure to read David's article about his recent struggle with depression. He describes beautifully the role of craft and creativity in his life, even in the darkest of times. His descriptions of the frustration involved in trying to get the meds right, and the disappointment in not enjoying normal pursuits are bang on. That's why he's the writer. I cried a bit when I read it. Then I wrote a note on his blog thanking him for his writing. I'm recently weaned from my meds but am still in therapy from a similar episode. It's nice not to feel alone.

1 comment:

Miss Scarlett said...

Whoa - great article.
Thank you for letting me know about it. I hadn't checked Knitty out yet.

Good for you for weaning the meds - I have chickened out for the time being. Sorry to hear about your 'episode' though. They suck, don't they? (I hope that doesn't sound flippant - it's not meant to).

Sending you a big e-hug! {{}}