09 January 2006

Secret Pal 7 Questionnaire

or should I say novella? Brevity is not the point....


1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
Not a snob really. All (well most) yarns have their place. Acrylic is fine for crafty things but definitely natural fibers for garments worn next to the skin.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
No.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
The small loose ones go in a solid plastic needle case that I've had forever and can't even remember where it came from. I keep store bought needles in the soft plastic cases they come in and the whole mess lives in a section of my desk drawer.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Intermediate I think. Definition: I can do garments, some lace, some fancy stitches. I cannot do intarsia or fair isle.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Sandalwood. Also like citrus (tangerine and lemon). Hate, hate, hate all those gooey fake fruity scents - strawberry, cherry, raspberry - in short, all the daughter's lip balms.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I like chocolate but am really a salty snack addict.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
It's not really a craft, but I am journalling in a huge way right now. I carry a notebook everywhere I go and write in it constantly. Filling pages and pages.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Can't play MP3's.
Like: Folk, classic rock, blues, eighties dance music. Oddly enough, I quite like a lot of the daughter's music like Pink, Gwen Stefani and Green Day.
Dislike: Rap, hip hop, metal, jazz

10. What's your favorite color? Or do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Adore the Deep rose, purple, blue green family. Can't abide yellow.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
One husband, one 12 year old daughter. Two cats.

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Of course. It's winter in Canada. Re the poncho issue. I know that 90% of them are butt ugly and 5% are ok. The remaining 5% are lovely and tasteful. The daughter and I own 2 of these latter 5%, knitted by yours truly.



13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

Currently liking cotton blends and silk blends.


14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
"Novelty" yarn.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Currently spending a lot of time unravelling thrift store sweaters for the fibre. It started as a money saving thing and turned into something I just like to do. The winding is very meditative. And my stash gets bigger!

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Anyone reading my blog knows I love doll clothes. Also tops, sweaters, scarves and wraps.

17. What are you knitting right now?
A doll and a cotton sweater.

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Both are fine. Can't master DPN's

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Aluminum and bamboo. Not plastic.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No

22. How did you learn to knit?
Learned the basics as a child. Taught myself the trickier stuff from books and the net over the last few years.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Maybe 2 months

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
My favourite animal is the walrus. (ya, I'm weird.)
As far as animation goes I love anything to do with the work of Hayao Miyazaki (ie: Totoro, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Monoke)

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Summer long weekends.

26. Is there anything that you collect?
Older (1960's) knitting magazines. Pink glass. Aluminum teapots and percolaters.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
None right now. I took Creative Knitting for one year but didn't renew because I found it was becoming repetitive.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Books that intrigue me are Wrap Style, Last Minute Knitted Gifts or any book with little project patterns. I'd love any single issue of most magazines. Love Rebecca.
Yarns that I like are just about anything from Filtes King/Needful. I also have been wanting to try something with alpaca and am very interested in Dale Svale.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I need to learn buttonholes! Not the ugly yarn over kind but good buttonholes. I'd like to get efficient with DPN's so I could make wrist warmers. Alas, I fear it may be a lost cause.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
No. I don't know. I wear a size 8 shoe?

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
June 6

No comments: